The federal government, on Wednesday, says 745 persons of the 8,057 suspected cases of cerebrospinal meningitis have died since the outbreak of the disease.
The government also expressed its commitment to continuing to intensify efforts to stop the deaths and further spread of the disease in the worst-hit states of Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi and Niger.
According to a statement by the technical assistant, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Lawal Bakare, the northern traditional rulers’ committee on primary health care held a meeting with the governors from the region.
The meeting, which was held in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and its agencies and international partners, focused on strategies to end the outbreak.
According to him, during the meeting, state governors reaffirmed their commitment to immediate and concrete actions towards halting the outbreak, while traditional rulers also said they were ready to continue to raise awareness in their jurisdictions.
The CSM National Emergency Operations Centre at the NCDC, Bakare said, had been leading the national coordination and support for the outbreak response in affected states.
NCDC Director-General, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, also emphasised the need to ensure that citizens are continuously engaged in the response by working with journalists across the country to ensure easy reporting of facts.topics from