Suspension Of Melaye Recall Process: INEC Refutes Insinuations

Suspension Of Melaye Recall Process: INEC Refutes Insinuations

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has refuted negative insinuations trailing its decision to suspend the recall process of Senator Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi West) in compliance with a court order.

Prof. Okechukwu Ibeanu, National Commissioner, said in a statement he issued on Saturday in Abuja that the attention of the commission had been drawn to some media reports about its decision to obey the court order.

He said some of the reports were claiming that INEC was being blackmailed into abandoning the process as a result of the decision of Senate to probe the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TEFUND).

He said relating INEC’s decision to the Senate’s intention to probe TETFUND, where the present INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, previously served as Executive Secretary, is false and misleading.

He also described it as a deliberate attempt to portray the commission in a bad light and cast aspersions on it.

The Commission wishes to state unequivocally and categorically that these reports are totally incorrect and mischievous.

Contrary to the impression given by the misleading reports, the INEC Chairman, Yakubu, was not even at the meeting where the Commission took the decision to obey the court order.

Yakubu is currently leading a team of the ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions (ECONEC) on an official fact-finding mission to some West African countries, in his capacity as the body’s President.

He assured Nigerians that INEC would continue to diligently carry out its constitutional functions without fear, favour, affection or ill will.
 

topics from
There is no comment